Τετάρτη 16 Απριλίου 2008

My first english patient

There I was ready for my first night shift in A&E Bedford Hospital. I started @ 22.00 and had some cover up for 2 hours till midnight. A staff indian doctor was there and he gave me a nice and friendly smile saying welcome. I have moved already with family and kids in hospital accomodation which I have to say was not what we expected to be. The induction course was excellent and gave me a first feel of an excellent training to come. The doors burst open suddenly and with no warning from ambulance. A heavy built 70 years old nun was wheeled to the rescuscitation room gasping for oxygen. The staff doc and me attended immediately helping the nurses and ambulance crew to move the nun from wheelchair to rescus bed.She looked like she suffered from an acute asthma attack so I ordered to put an oxygen mask on while I was about to assess her respiratory system. In a matter of seconds she arrested giving me no time to examine her. I had only one chance and I took it. Her right antecubital vein was still palpable and full so I stuck a venflon in and thank God it flushed back well."Its an LVF" shouted staff doctor which hit me like a thunder. "Start 60% oxygen, give 40 mg frusemide i.v and push 2 mg morphine i.v stat" I shouted as time was running out. Sister has already brought all the necessary like she knew what I was going to say and I blushed as I realized that the diagnosis was obvious for her due to years of experience. The patient resumed consciousness and did well after a short ICU stay. From that moment on I never left my A&E pocketbook back home and always talked to the most experienced nurse before I took some action on medical emergencies.Thank God I knew more about surgery than internal medicine to feel I was worth the money I was paid. Many cases came by since then but this is the one that I still keep dreaming off. Sugar Shankar thank you for that job! Yanis

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: